Saturday 10 July 2010

Summer Prawn Curry with Coconut and Lime

Here is a really great recipe by Sophie Dahl from this month’s Waitrose magazine. This curry really caught my eye with its wonderful combo of flavours and juicy king prawns. I’m a big fan of Thai curries and this is the first prawn one I’ve made. I adapted the recipe to make it lower in calories using half-fat coconut milk and less oil, every little bit helps in my quest to shift some weight!

I knew I was right to make this dish, oh my gosh it was absolutely scrumptious and nothing less than fantastic! This is a light and refreshing curry with a subtle spicy kick which in no way over-powers the other flavours. Whether you love Thai curries or never tried one before this is one you must make!

Summer Prawn Curry with Coconut and Lime

Serves 4 (I halved the recipe for 2)

Ingredients
2 tbsp sunflower oil (I used olive oil)
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, finely chopped
1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp Cooks’ Ingredients lime leaves
450g raw king prawns
400ml can coconut milk (I used half fat coconut milk)
2 limes, juice
1 tbsp desiccated coconut
100g mange tout
10g coriander, chopped

Heat the oil in a large pan; sweat the onion for 10 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli, curry powder and lime leaves and cook on low for another few minutes.

Add the prawns and cover with the coconut milk. Cook for about 7 minutes. Stir in the lime juice and desiccated coconut, then add the mange tout and cook for another few minutes.

Season. Sprinkle with the coriander. Serve on a bed of plump rice.

13 comments:

Kate said...

hey! i know that sophie dahl got/gets a lot of flak for her tv show BUT i bought her cookery book a few months ago now and i really like her recipes AND i love this recipe too! i made an adapted version of this a while ago and i thought it was gorgeous too! i love that you made the recipe also! :) looks great!!! :) x
ps. great to see you blogging again!

Choclette said...

I love Thai curries and this looks really delicious - coconut and lime definitely ring my chimes.

Diana's Cocina said...

I feel curry in any dish mke it all better. Sounds delicious with the coconut and lime.

Chele said...

Mmmmmm - is it wrong to crave this curry for breakfast?!?!

Lucie said...

Fabulous recipe Maria- this looks lovely. Hope you're having a lovely weekend! Love Lucie x

Nickki said...

This looks delicious! I Thai curries so I've bookmarked this recipe. Thanks for sharing Maria x

Jacqueline Meldrum said...

Sophie's book is a really good read Maria. She talks about food when growing up and her model years. Good bedtime reading and some fabulous recipes :)

busygran said...

Looks great with rice. Love thai curries.

Chronicles of Dolliedaydream said...

Mmm this looks delish and takes me to somewhere hot like Goa ... I start to get a bit bored of salads in the summer months and as my husband doesn't eat meat this would be a great meal idea for us during the week. Hope you have had a lovely weekend x

Sarah said...

I have sophia dahl's cook book and LOVE it. I also love this dish - Looks delish!

Anne said...

That sounds really fresh, ideal dinner for a hot evening, I love spicy thai curries in so will have to try!

What strenght curry powder did you use?

Maria♥ said...

Thanks everyone for the lovely comments.

Anne, I used mild curry powder.

Maria
x

goo said...

yum made an adapted version of this tonight - amazing!