Sunday 1 February 2009

Banana and Chocolate Bread ~ Sweet and Simple Bake!


Wow, this month seems to have flown by quick and I can’t believe the moment has arrived for another wonderful round-up at Sweet and Simple Bakes! This month I chose this really scrumptious Banana and Chocolate Bread, I’ve made this before and knew it would be a hit with everyone. Not only is the recipe easy but the combination of flavours makes this a perfect tea time afternoon indulgence. I’ve baked lots of different versions of banana bread but this version ticks all the right boxes, making it one of the best recipes yet! Please check out all the other great and delicious entries over at Sweet and Simple Bakes.

Banana and Chocolate Bread

Serves 10-12

Ingredients
250g (9oz) self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder
150g (5oz) caster
100g (3 ½ oz) butter, softened
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
475g (17oz) whole bananas (about 4 small ones), peeled
75g (3oz) dark chocolate chips

13 x 23cm (5x9in) loaf tin

Preheat the oven to 170oC (325oF), Gas mark 3. Lightly butter and line the loaf tin with parchment paper. Sift the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Add the sugar and butter and, using your fingertips, rub it in until the mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Whisk the eggs, vanilla extract and orange zest in another bowl. Add the bananas and mash very well with a potato masher. Add the chocolate chips. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the banana mixture. Gently but thoroughly bring all the ingredients together with a wooden spoon, then pour into the prepared loaf tin. Smooth the top and bake in the oven for 1-1 ¼ hours or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool for 5 minutes before removing the cake from the tin and leave to cool on a wire rack.

11 comments:

Maria said...

The bread looks amazing! I wish I could have a slice for breakfast!

natalia said...

Ciao ! Thanks for sharing your recipe !!! It was (...) wonderful !!

Finla said...

Looks yummy yumm delicious.

Rosie said...

Your banana chocolate bread looks wonderful Maria!! Thanks for a lovely bake this month:)

Rosie x

JillyB said...

Yours looks just perfect Maria! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

anooshka said...

Thank you for the recipe! You are real domestic goddess!!

Reeni said...

Such a delicious bread, chocolate and banana is such a wonderful combo! And I love that bread liner!! I have never seen those before.

Starningblue said...

Hi!

Thanks for this bake! This recipe is great :D

Cheers,
Starningblue

Nickki said...

Your Banana bread looks lovely! I'm sorry I haven't been a very active member of S&S Bakes the past couple of months...I promise to make more of an effort in the future! I've been very up and down health wise the past while, but I'm feeling much better now, so hopefully I'll have more energy to get back into the kitchen! :)

Cookie said...

Please......Can you gimme a slice!!!

..cookie

Helen the future goddess! said...

I made this for a badminton match and guess who recognised the recipe.... your hubby ratted me out for the recipe borrowing learner baker that I am. None left at the end of the night though!
Thanks for a great recipe. Im going to try it with white choc next time. Watch this space.