Thursday 14 August 2008

Banana Apple Loaf


There are hundreds of cake recipes for banana loaf and I spend half of my baking life trying out new recipes to make use of the ripened bananas sitting in my fruit bowl. This morning I decided to find the perfect recipe in order to use up 2 ripened bananas and also combine apples into the equation. It didn’t take me long and I eventually came across this great recipe for Banana Apple Loaf! This was a “piece of cake” to make, with the fruits and sour cream giving this loaf a gorgeous moist sponge which is bursting with flavour. If you happen to have all the ingredients to hand, this loaf cake really is worth a try. Perfect for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack with your cup of tea.

Banana Apple Loaf

Ingredients
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
3 tablespoons sour cream
1/2 cup mashed bananas (2 bananas)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 apples -chopped


Cream together margarine and sugars, beat in eggs thoroughly. Blend in sour cream, banana and vanilla. Combine flour, baking powder, soda and cinnamon. Gradually add to butter mixture.Gently fold in chopped apples. Pour into greased and floured loaf pan. Bake about 1 hour at 375 degrees. Cool before slicing.

13 comments:

Beth (jamandcream) said...

Sounds fantastic. Ive got a half opened carton of sour cream in the fridge - now I know what Im going to do with it

Coby said...

{nodding} yes this is certainly my kind of cake:) Adore apples in cake, can't get enough of cakes using sour cream and I too, always need new ideas for over-ripe bananas:):) I shall have to give it a try thanks Maria:) Yummy.

Katherine said...

that looks and sounds so yummy, I love apples in cake. Especially apple tea cake! This is my favouite recipe for using up bananas: http://ramblingsofastudentwife.blogspot.com/2008/08/best-banana-cake-or-muffins-in-world.html

Swati said...

Sounds awesome Maria..

Chawanmushi said...

Hi Maria
Wow ...great combination for the loaf cake and I can imagine the moistness in the loaf too :-)
Now you set me thinking .... combinations upon combinations with bananas LOL

Rosie said...

Oh yes this is one beautful loaf cake Maria!! As you know I adore cakes with banana another great recipe and cake sweetie :)

Rosie x

Maria♥ said...

Thanks for the lovely comments!

Maria
x

Anonymous said...

Alistair - Age 11
The best bread ever! I could eat the loaf in about a minute flat!Thanks Maria it's a gift from god.

Unknown said...

It's baking as I type and it smells amazing! I added walnuts too!

Greetings from Australia!

Karen said...

Hi Maria, I came across your blog when I googled for a banana and apple cake. Going to try it this evening. Shall let you know how it turns out :)
Karen.

Karen said...

It's done...cooling in my kitchen...smells yummy...I couldn't help but cut mysel a tiny piece even though it's piping hot...it's delicious. Thanks!

Karen said...

The cake smells yummy...it's lying on my kitchen counter cooling. I couldn't help but cut myself a tiny piece even though it's piping hot...it's delicious! Thanks.

Cib said...

Found your recipe when I googled banana and apple cake... haven't got any sour cream at home though, I wonder if using natural yoghurt would work?
Will try anyway and let you know.